This year, it’s this week (yesterday, actually) but hey, soup is forgiving! So….here’s some reasons to dive in:
Top 5 reasons to make some homemade soup:
- You’ve got some leftover turkey (or chicken) bones from your Thanksgiving (or Christmas or New Year’s Day) dinner in your freezer.
- You are living in New England, it’s winter, and you are freezing your butt off.
- You are dealing with a head/sinus/chest cold (in which case, get someone else to make it for you).
- You picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner, and want to get one another meal from it.
- You have a crock pot. Give it something to do.
You will find no shortage of recipes online (and probably in your own collection of seldom used cookbooks) for homemade soup, not to mention on the labels of canned or boxed broth. Or just go on intuition and taste as you go…it’s hard to mess up soup.
Speaking of leftovers in the fridge, if you have any leftover pasta from another night’s dinner, use that in your soup (I happened to have some linguini). Don’t forget to forage in your crisper drawers for any (perhaps long) forgotten carrots, celery, onions, and other (still recognizable) vegetables to add to your soup.