Remember every fall when your new teacher would ask you to write an essay on “what I did on my summer vacation”? and you could never think of a thing? Well, how about getting a jump on things this year by writing “what I am going to do on my summer vacation”!
Inspired by Laura Dolce’s column in the York County Coast Star this past thursday, who was talking about her summer wish list, I decided to put together my own. I actually do this every year, but not usually this early. see if you can notice any recurrent theme in my list.
First, the pre-to-do list (it’s short):
- Read the Tourist News every week. it’s not just for tourists anymore.
- Check out the local library for summer programs for your kids. they’re free, and fun!
- Get online and google the dates of the annual events
Now, here’s what i want to do this summer (this is the top 10):
- Big Daddy’s in Wells for a Kahlua Browie ice cream cone.
- Mini-golf at Wonder Mountain in Wells…although a friend told me about Shaw’s Ridge in Sanford, which we may be checking out instead
- The (annual) Strawberry Festival in South Berwick. Every year we mean to go and never make it. this year it’s on saturday 6/26, and it’s been on my calendar for 2 months already.
- Scarborough Downs Family Fun Day on sunday august 8.
- Congdon’s Doughnuts at least once, for blueberry donuts (me) and blueberry turnovers (my daughter) for breakfast.
- Ogunquit Playhouse; there are shows for adults as well as for children all summer. note: please do not bring kids to the evening adult shows…nothing will cramp the style of the actors more than a bright-eyed 12 year old front and center when he is trying to say his risqué lines.
- Kennebunkport, to walk and poke around in all the little shops.
- Kennebooks…visit the bookstore near me as often as possible!
- Go for a trolley ride…
- Old Orchard Beach for pier fries.
This is my jumping off point. I will add to it as necessary, and hopefully not have to cross too much off from it!
Do you make a summer vacation ‘to-do’ list?