I went to The New England Authors Expo this week at The Danversport Yacht Club in (you guessed it) Danvers, MA. It was a hot summer day, and I was hopeful that the masses would like to get out of the hot sun and into the cool a/c, but not a whole lot did. The good news is that the readers who did make the effort to attend were amazing! We all appreciate it so much (thank you Robin, Sheila, Chrissy and Scott!) when our friends come out to support our writing!
I also am so blessed to have the support of my family. My husband, Bill, and my daughter, Izzy, spent the entire day with me, helping me get set up, keeping me fed and watered, and helping me connect with readers (yep; still shy). My son, Anthony, encourage me from afar via technology. Thank you so much!
Plus I made several new friends and met many terrific writers. I love how my book, One Brave Thing, has connected me to so many other people (and books!) that I might never have known otherwise.
I am loving every minute of this!
Maybe you should come to the next Expo.
Top 10 Reasons to Attend the Next New England Authors Expo:
- You will learn a lot.
- Your isolated writer-ly life will be broken open.
- Colleagues! You have them! They are at The Expo! (Jennifer Davies, Jennifer W. Smith)
- Attend panel discussions! You will always learn at least new thing. I took pages of notes that I am looking forward to reviewing (Hello, free time? It’s Karen. I miss you…).
- See what your fellow authors are doing to market their writing.
- Show other authors what YOU are doing to market YOUR writing.
- Get cool author swag (Check out the photo above)!
- Learn some new social media strategies–and what to avoid doing.
- You can offer to trade books (and reviews!) with other authors and then you have some excellent reads for the near future!
And the top 10 reason is:
10. You will have so much fun!!! 🙂
I came away from this event so inspired with ideas on how to market my book and to help my readers. I received an invitation to a free online webinar (note to self: register for free online webinar!), so the learning continues even once you get home. I met Gayle C. Heney, who talked to me about her program Write Now. I received an invitation to be on Be My Guest!, a program for writers hosted by Jan Lewis (stay tuned for details as the become available).
Inspiration? It’s a wonderful thing!
Here is a video from an Authors Expo from years past, to give you a flavor of what it’s like: