You may have heard that there’s a little something call the flu going around. Actually, there are many flu-like viruses going around, but the doomsday people (and the CDC) refer to them all as ‘the flu’ so they can try to scare you into ‘getting your flu shot’ (like that might help at all).
Anyway, there are a couple of ways to try to prevent flu-like viruses from ruining your life:
- Consider Oscillococcinum. I’m not endorsing it, but it’s a homeopathic remedy out there that is not invasive (for those of us who detest shots of any kind) that might help.
- Wash your hands, already. Also, get some bleach wipes. Use them (on the non-human surfaces).
Failing prevention, you can try to make it as easy on yourself as possible:
- Keep the Kleenex close at hand.
- DayQuil, NyQuil (generic equivalents will save you some bucks).
- Hydrate! If you’re vomiting, you might consider keeping a jug of Gatorade/Powerade close at hand, otherwise Kool-Aid (tropical punch–the red one) is awesome.
- Cough drops. Here again, store brands work just fine.
- If you don’t feel like eating, don’t. If you don’t feel like drinking, too bad. Drink anyway, especially if you’re sporting a fever, which you (most likely) will be with a flu-like virus.
You should start feeling like you’ve turned a corner (for the better) in about 2-3 days, but if you don’t, then consider giving your doctor a call for a chat. After all, that’s what you’re paying him/her for.