I am finding that as it gets colder and darker outside, I also am getting colder and darker (of mood). I am going at a much slower pace than I have been used to, and the less I do, the less I want to do.
For example, take exercise–please. I mean, I’ve never liked it, but I would still go and do it. Now, I must have long battles with my inner couch potato to get myself to go to the gym even once a week.
- ME: Got to the gym!
- INNER COUCH POTATO: No! I don’t wanna go!
- ME: You have to go! You haven’t been in a whole week!
- INNER C.P.: No! I don’t wanna go! You can’t make me! It’s only 24 degrees out there! It’s too cold! It’s still dark out! I don’t have enough time! I’m too tired! What I really need is another hour of sleep!
(See what I’m up against?)
Then I have to wonder: is once a week doing even one bit of good? It’s a short walk (hey! would that count as exercise?) from one to none, which is what is keeping me going at all at this point, I think.
Well, that, and Bagel Tuesday*.
I think of all of the things that I’d rather be doing than going to the gym.
- Sleeping for an extra hour
- Cooking and eating breakfast in my kitchen with my family
- Getting started writing my 2000 words
- Sleeping for an extra hour (See how tired I am! I’m repeating myself!)
All right, so the bottom line is… guess! Did I go to the gym or not?
*Planet Fitness puts out free bagels, cream cheese, and coffee from Dunkin Donuts on the second Tuesday of every month. Can you guess what my one day a week at the gym is? Heh, heh, heh.